I've been making this sweet and tangy meat loaf for my family for more than 25 years. It's even requested for company dinners. - Mary Ann Mertz, Westmont, Illinois
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid; set mushrooms aside. Add enough milk to mushroom liquid to measure 1/2 cup. In a bowl, combine the mushroom liquid, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard, pepper and mushrooms. Crumble beef over the mixture; sprinkle bread crumbs over beef and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour; drain. Combine ketchup and corn syrup; spoon over loaf. Bake 15 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Mushroom Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p42
Reviews for Hearty Mushroom Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2009
"My son, Greg, in AZ tried it first and thought it was delicious, so he passed the recipe on to me. My husband and I both thought it was wonderful and ....I thought it extremely easy to prepare:) Robin H."