Hearty Muffuletta Recipe
Famous in Louisiana, muffulettas are cold cuts, cheese and olive salad layered into an Italian bread shell. I was happy when a friend and co-worker gave me this recipe so I could make them myself. More than a meal, it’s a dining experience!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 55 min. + chilling YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup giardiniera
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 round loaf (24 ounces) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1. In a large bowl, combine first 12 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid.
- 2. Cut loaf of bread in half; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush cut sides of bread with reserved liquid. Layer bottom of bread shell with salami, half of the olive mixture, cheese, remaining olive mixture and ham. Replace bread top. Cut into wedges. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 378 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 1,103 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC