Hearty Muffuletta Recipe
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup giardiniera
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 round loaf (24 ounces) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1. In a large bowl, combine first 12 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid.
- 2. Cut loaf of bread in half; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush cut sides of bread with reserved liquid. Layer bottom of bread shell with salami, half of the olive mixture, cheese, remaining olive mixture and ham. Replace bread top. Cut into wedges. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 378 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1103mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Muffuletta
"Olive spread was excellent, not too oily unlike some store bought."
"This was such a hit with our gaming crowd! Instead of a round sourdough loaf, I used a long ciabatta loaf (fresh from the bakery so it's nice and soft) so I could cut two- or three-inch sections for sharing. Thanks for a great recipe!"
"By far, the BEST Muffuletta I've eaten!! Will DEFINITELY be making this again for my family!!"
"This is one of the best sandwiches that I have ever tasted. My family didn't even leave a crumb!"