Hearty Muffuletta Loaf Recipe
In the summer, we love to picnic outdoors as much as possible. Loaded with meat and flavor, this sandwich always satisfies the heartiest of appetites.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh banana peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 pound sliced Genoa salami
- 1/4 pound sliced Cotto salami
- 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1. Cut bread in half lengthwise; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.)
- 2. Combine the oil, vinegar, oregano and garlic; brush half on the inside of shell. Add the mozzarella cheese, artichoke hearts, olives, peppers and onion to the remaining oil mixture. Spoon into bottom of bread shell; layer with meats and cheese. Replace bread top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 606 calories, 43 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,673 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC