In the summer, we love to picnic outdoors as much as possible. Loaded with meat and flavor, this sandwich always satisfies the heartiest of appetites.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh banana peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 pound sliced Genoa salami
- 1/4 pound sliced Cotto salami
- 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.)
- Combine the oil, vinegar, oregano and garlic; brush half on the inside of shell. Add the mozzarella cheese, artichoke hearts, olives, peppers and onion to the remaining oil mixture. Spoon into bottom of bread shell; layer with meats and cheese. Replace bread top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Muffaleta Loaf in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p92
Reviews for Hearty Muffuletta Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review