Hearty Morning Muffins Recipe
"These delicious muffins are loaded with goodies," writes Elaine Kauffman of Tofield, Alberta. "I got the recipe from our pastor's wife. We like them for Sunday breakfast, but it's a good idea to double the recipe and keep some in the freezer for brown-bag lunches during the week."
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 medium ripe ripe banana, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Add the carrots, apricots, sunflower kernels, coconut and chocolate chips. Stir in the banana. Beat eggs, oil and vanilla; stir into carrot mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 265 calories, 16 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC