"These delicious muffins are loaded with goodies," writes Elaine Kauffman of Tofield, Alberta. "I got the recipe from our pastor's wife. We like them for Sunday breakfast, but it's a good idea to double the recipe and keep some in the freezer for brown-bag lunches during the week."
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 medium ripe ripe banana, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Add the carrots, apricots, sunflower kernels, coconut and chocolate chips. Stir in the banana. Beat eggs, oil and vanilla; stir into carrot mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Hearty Morning Muffins in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p38
Reviews for Hearty Morning Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review