Hearty Minestrone Recipe
“This is my all-time favorite soup. I love make big batches and freeze some for later. This hearty dish reminds me of spaghetti and sauce in soup form!” -Katie Koziolek of Hartland, Minnesota
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the pork, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato juice, tomato sauce, broth, carrots, zucchini, Italian seasoning, salt, sugar if desired and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- 3. Transfer 6 cups of soup to a freezer container; cool. Freeze for up to 3 months. Add water and pasta to remaining soup; bring to a boil. Cover and cook until pasta is tender.
- 4. To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator; transfer to a large saucepan. Stir in water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add pasta; cover and cook until tender. Yield: 2 batches (6 servings each).
1 cup equals 242 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 853 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Minestrone
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC