- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings. Saute celery and onion in drippings for 5 minutes. Add sausage and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Minestrone Soup
"This had pretty good flavor even though I cheated and left out the sausage. I wanted a basic minestrone recipe to play with, so went to Taste of Home which never disappoints. Other changes besides leaving out the sausage: I added a can of light red kidney beans, did not use the celery, used two minced garlic cloves, threw in a handful of baby spinach leaves when it was almost done, and a cup of already-cooked tiny shell pasta. This recipe freezes very well. I portioned it into two-person servings and frozen it in quart zippered freezer bags which lay flat in your freezer."
"Tasty soup and loaded with vegies. We like more broth so added some beef stock and were very pleased."
"This is just so good it makes my heart smile. I used some chicken broth for some added liquid."
"5 stars!! make this a lot.."
"I would add less salt next time."
"I didn't have any green peppers, either, so I didn't use them. I added some lentils like the minestrone at the restaurant, so I needed more liquid and added 2 cans of condensed beef broth. This is very delicious!"
"I substituted diced carrots for green pepper because that was all I had on hand and this recipe was excellent. Loved it!"