Hearty Minestrone Soup
This fresh-tasting minestrone soup gets its zesty flavor from Italian sausage. When you want to use up your garden bounty of zucchini, try this recipe. If your family likes food extra spicy, use hot bulk Italian sausage instead. —Donna Smith, Fairport, New York
9 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage until no longer pink. Remove
- with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon
- of drippings. Saute celery and onion in drippings for 5 minutes. Add
- sausage and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are
- tender. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 224 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 901 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.