VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 corn tortilla (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado, sour cream, chilies, onion, lemon juice, salt if desired, pepper and hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- In a 10-in. nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add tortilla pieces; cook for 2 minutes or until softened. Meanwhile, whisk eggs. Add eggs to skillet (mixture should set immediately at edges).
- As eggs set, push cooked edges toward the center, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When the eggs are set, spoon avocado mixture over one side and sprinkle with cheese; fold other side over filling.
- Invert omelet onto a plate to serve. Cover and let stand for 1-1/2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Omelet in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006 , p7