Hearty Mexican Lasagna Recipe
This is one dish that is hearty enough to fill them up but tasty enough to keep them coming back for more! Flour torillas are an interesting switch from lasagna noodles.—Roma Rogers, Oshkosh, Nebraska
- 18 pounds ground beef
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 18 envelopes taco seasoning
- 6 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 6 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 32 to 40 flour tortillas (10 inches), cut into 2-inch strips
- 4-1/2 pounds shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In several Dutch ovens over medium heat, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the taco seasoning, tomato sauce and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Spoon about 2 cups each into six 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top with a single layer of tortilla strips. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers two more times. Divide the remaining meat sauce among pans (each pan will have about 7 cups of sauce). Top with remaining tortillas.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 72 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 420 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 1,262 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC