This is one dish that is hearty enough to fill them up but tasty enough to keep them coming back for more! Flour torillas are an interesting switch from lasagna noodles.—Roma Rogers, Oshkosh, Nebraska
Recommended: 50 Great Ways to Make Lasagna
- 18 pounds ground beef
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 18 envelopes taco seasoning
- 6 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 6 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 32 to 40 flour tortillas (10 inches), cut into 2-inch strips
- 4-1/2 pounds shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In several Dutch ovens over medium heat, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the taco seasoning, tomato sauce and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 2 cups each into six 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top with a single layer of tortilla strips. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers two more times. Divide the remaining meat sauce among pans (each pan will have about 7 cups of sauce). Top with remaining tortillas.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 72 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Lasagna in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p54
Reviews for Hearty Mexican Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 17, 2009
"I made this for a group of boy scouts and their leaders, it went over very well. It was very filling and the enjoyed it a great deal, thanks for sharing this one!"