Hearty Meatless Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 8 ounces frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Place garlic on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with oil. Wrap foil around garlic. Bake 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender; drain. Mash potatoes with broth, salt and pepper; squeeze softened garlic into potatoes and mix well.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms, meat crumbles, carrots and celery; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth, rosemary, soy sauce, salt and pepper; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- 4. Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in peas.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°. Transfer vegetable mixture to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 223 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 753 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Hearty Meatless Shepherd's Pie
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.