Hearty Meatless Minestrone Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup small pasta shells
- Fresh basil leaves and shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, cabbage, green pepper, zucchini and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, beans, tomato puree, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta; cook 12-15 minutes longer or until tender. Garnish each serving with basil and cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Meatless Minestrone
Sort By :
"Wow, multiplied times 5 and made this for a meatless dinner at our church. They loved it and many said it was the best soup they'd ever eaten...bar none. My husband put it together and he was glowing with all the grateful compliments."
"This is simply THE BEST winter soup. It's hearty, warm, the cayenne gives it just a little kick, low calorie, my family LOVES this soup!"
"A very good minestrone recipe. Makes a lot!"
"I loved all the veggies in this soup. I thought it needed more liquid, but I may have just added too much pasta. This is a great healthy recipe!"