Hearty Meatless Chili Recipe
“Years ago I found a recipe for chili con carne,” writes Lois Beach of College Station, Texas. “I tried it and changed the spices, reduced the oil and added vegetables to make it more attractive. Dozens have enjoyed the results and asked for the recipe!”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 8 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 8 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in zucchini and carrots. Add the cornmeal, chili powder, paprika, sugar, cumin and cayenne; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Garnish each serving with sour cream, green onions and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 254 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC