- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 8 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 8 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in zucchini and carrots. Add the cornmeal, chili powder, paprika, sugar, cumin and cayenne; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Garnish each serving with sour cream, green onions and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Meatless Chili
"Made this for supper tonight. Was easy to assemble. Just an FYI - 2 tablespoons of Chili Powder is way too much if you are feeding this to children. I added only 1 tablespoon and it was still too much for me! Overall, very tasty recipe and I would definately make it again using less chili powder"
"Can the leftovers be frozen?"