“Years ago I found a recipe for chili con carne,” writes Lois Beach of College Station, Texas. “I tried it and changed the spices, reduced the oil and added vegetables to make it more attractive. Dozens have enjoyed the results and asked for the recipe!”
Recommended: 17 Chili Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 8 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 8 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in zucchini and carrots. Add the cornmeal, chili powder, paprika, sugar, cumin and cayenne; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Garnish each serving with sour cream, green onions and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Meatless Chili in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p51
Reviews for Hearty Meatless Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 31, 2012
Reviewed Jan. 5, 2009
"Can the leftovers be frozen?"