Hearty Meatball Soup Recipe
A little bit of this thick and hearty soup goes a long way, so it's terrific to take to potlucks. My husband, Patrick, and I enjoy this on cold winter nights. —Janice Thompson, Lansing, Michigan
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. In a stockpot, bring broth to a boil. Carefully add the meatballs. Add the tomato juice, tomatoes, vegetables, rice and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Add the parsley and soy sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Yield: 22 servings (5-3/4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 162 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 652 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC