- Pastry for two double-crust pies
- 2 cups grated peeled potatoes
- 1-1/4 cups diced celery
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- MUSHROOM GRAVY (for each pie):
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 4 drops browning sauce, optional
- Divide pastry into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. In a large bowl, combine the next seven ingredients; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Spoon half into crust.
- Roll out another portion of pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling and seal edges. Cut vents in top pastry. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Cover and freeze one pie for up to 3 months.
- Bake second pie at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat; bake at 350° for 1 hour. Meanwhile, drain mushrooms, reserving liquid. Add water to liquid to measure 1 cup; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook mushrooms and flour in oil until bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in bouillon and reserved mushroom liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Serve with pie.
- To use frozen pie: Bake at 375° for 70 minutes. Prepare gravy as directed. Serve with pie. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Reviews for Hearty Meat Pie
Sort By :
"Gross. Threw it out. Dry. Awful Taste."
"The ratings for this one are misleading. After making changes with ingredients it is no longer the same recipe. Based on that info I wouldn't make this one. Why waste time and money making gravey when there are many good tasting ready made graveys?"
"What can be substitued for the mushrooms? Any suggestions?"
"Not enough filling for 2 pies...I used all in one pie. Diced my potatoes very small, do not like shredded potatoes. Also used criminni mushrooms in pie."