Hearty Maple Beans Recipe
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In drippings, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is lightly browned. Stir in bacon and remaining ingredients.
- 2. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 294 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 673mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Maple Beans
"My husband thought they were a 5-star, but I wasn't completely sold. They tasted a step above normal brown sugar baked beans to me. I think it needs a few changes to make it a 5 star, but don't get me wrong, this was still a delicious recipe. I think next time I won't cook the onions quite as long. I think if the onions were crunchier, that would give an added texture to the meal. I'd also like to see some other vegetable thrown in to make it a more complete meal, but not sure which one. I did very much enjoy the bacon (who wouldn't??). The sausage we used was the precooked andouille sausage, which gave the recipe a nice little kick (but not too spicy). I also used pure maple syrup. Overall, a good recipe, but I will tweak it a bit. I'd definitely make this again."
"These beans had such a great flavor! I fixed them for a large church group, and everyone raved about them. My husband loved them as well, and when he took the leftovers for lunch the next day, he said they tasted even better the next day. Definitely putting them in my favorite recipes."