Hearty Macaroni Casserole Recipe
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup French-fried onions
- 1. Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to prepared macaroni. Stir in tomatoes.
- 2. Divide half of mixture between two greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dishes; sprinkle each with 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining mixture.
- 3. Sprinkle remaining cheese over one casserole. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Sprinkle the second casserole with French-fried onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
1 cup: 470 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Macaroni Casserole
"Easy and a good comfort food. I will make this again.....when the husband is out of town. He wasn't a fan!"
"It was easy and okay but nothing great."
"I don't normally eat boxed mac and cheese, but I find recipes interesting when they incorporate items like this. My husband and I really liked this recipe, and I liked the ease of making it. I tried it with edamame instead of green pepper, still yummy! I will definitely make this again."
"Delicious and easy!~ Theresa"
"I have used both ground beef & Italian sausage. <3 Absolutely a family favorite in our house!"
"I have made this before but instead of adding green pepper, I substituted a can of Rotel's for the Italian Tomatoes and it came out great. Very easy and tasty."
"Very good. A hit."