Hearty Macaroni Casserole Recipe
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup French-fried onions
- 1. Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to prepared macaroni. Stir in tomatoes.
- 2. Divide half of mixture between two greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dishes; sprinkle each with 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining mixture.
- 3. Sprinkle remaining cheese over one casserole. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Sprinkle the second casserole with French-fried onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Cheese-topped casserole: 1 cup equals 445 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 753 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Onion-topped casserole: 1 cup equals 410 calories, 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.