The real star of this recipe is by far the dressing, which adds an appealing sweet touch to the greens. This salad can be made ahead—that makes it a "keeper" in my book.
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 to 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and sliced
- 9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, toss spinach, lettuce, mushrooms, carrots and onion. Arrange eggs around edge of bowl. Place chicken in center of bowl. Sprinkle with bacon and chow mein noodles. In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, vinegar, mustard, onion powder, celery seed, salt and pepper; with unit running, add oil in a slow steady stream. Pour over salad; toss. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Luncheon Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p48
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Hearty Luncheon Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review