Hearty Lima Bean Soup Recipe
This colorful soup has a golden broth dotted with tender vegetables and lima beans. It makes an excellent lunch or first course.—Betty L. Korcek, Bridgman, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 2 hours 50 min. YIELD:14 servings
- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 1 large meaty ham bone or 2 ham hocks
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 5 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 5 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch paprika
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid; return beans to pan.
- 2. Add ham bone and the 2-1/2-qt. of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Debone ham and cut into chunks; return to pan. Add celery and carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- 4. In a small skillet, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Add cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to the soup with tomatoes; simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 172 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 437 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC