Hearty Lima Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 1 large meaty ham bone or 2 ham hocks
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 5 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 5 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch paprika
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid; return beans to pan.
- Add ham bone and the 2-1/2-qt. of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Debone ham and cut into chunks; return to pan. Add celery and carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- In a small skillet, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Add cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to the soup with tomatoes; simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Lima Bean Soup(3)
Sort By :
Have made it more than once. We love it but my other half insists that I add his secret ingredient, 2 T of mustard. I see NOT difference with or without it. If I use the tomatoes, I have to cut them into very small pieces.
Just what I was looking for.
This is a 5 star recipe. Everyone that taste this bean soup loves it. I use Italian stewed tomatoes and cook it in the crock pot on high for 7 hrs. I highly recommend this.