Hearty Lima Bean Bake Recipe
- 1/2 medium green pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound turkey Italian sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and celery in oil until tender. Add sausage; cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2. Transfer to an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 316 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 610 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.