Hearty Lentil Spaghetti Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the lentils, broth, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, basil and oregano. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- 3. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Serve with lentil sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup sauce with 3/4 cup spaghetti equals 362 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 764 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 14 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.