Hearty Lentil Spaghetti Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the lentils, broth, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, basil and oregano. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- 3. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Serve with lentil sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 362 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 14g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Lentil Spaghetti
"The sauce is delicious and incredibly filling. I added a few things to my portion, including capers, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. So tasty! My kids both ate their spagetti without complaint with a little parmesan cheese on top. I would definitely make this again. I also wonder how it would work if frozen."
"This is delicious! I did alter it a bit by adding a small amount of fennel, sage, rosemary, garlic powder, & onion powder. These seasonings give it a sausage flavor. Even my picky eater liked it & had seconds!"
"This was easy and surprisingly tasty as heck. I highly suggest this meal."
"Fantastic recipe! My whole family loves it including my 6 year old son. It is one of his favorite dishes."
"This is a good homecooked recipe. We eat a lot of lentils and this was a welcomed change to our typical recipes. Not something I would serve to company, but hearty and tasty on a cold January night. Kids liked it too!"
"I never cared for lentils until I found this recipe while searching for some meatless meals. Even my picky husband loves it! I have made it 3 times so far and definitely will make again. We serve it with whole-wheat thick spaghetti or linguini because it is a heavy sauce."
"I also added a large can of mushrooms and did it in the slow cooker."
"Was very good - a keeper for sure. The cheese on top really makes a difference. I'll make again."