- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the lentils, broth, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, basil and oregano. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Serve with lentil sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Hearty Lentil Spaghetti
"The sauce is delicious and incredibly filling. I added a few things to my portion, including capers, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. So tasty! My kids both ate their spagetti without complaint with a little parmesan cheese on top. I would definitely make this again. I also wonder how it would work if frozen."
"This is delicious! I did alter it a bit by adding a small amount of fennel, sage, rosemary, garlic powder, & onion powder. These seasonings give it a sausage flavor. Even my picky eater liked it & had seconds!"
"This was easy and surprisingly tasty as heck. I highly suggest this meal."
"Fantastic recipe! My whole family loves it including my 6 year old son. It is one of his favorite dishes."
"This is a good homecooked recipe. We eat a lot of lentils and this was a welcomed change to our typical recipes. Not something I would serve to company, but hearty and tasty on a cold January night. Kids liked it too!"
"I never cared for lentils until I found this recipe while searching for some meatless meals. Even my picky husband loves it! I have made it 3 times so far and definitely will make again. We serve it with whole-wheat thick spaghetti or linguini because it is a heavy sauce."
"I also added a large can of mushrooms and did it in the slow cooker."
"Was very good - a keeper for sure. The cheese on top really makes a difference. I'll make again."