Hearty Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes, lentils, barley, bouillon, oregano, rosemary and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils and barley are almost tender.
- 2. Add carrots; simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots, lentils and barley are tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 154 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 643 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Lentil Soup
"Wonderful! You must try. Added hot sauce, but otherwise perfect."
"I've made this twice & it was good, with some changes. I cooked short ribs (any amount you want to use) with herbs, bay leaf, onions. Drain & save beef broth, cut the ribs apart & set aside. Continue recipe as written, except use broth from cooking ribs instead of water. (add enough water to make 6 cups if you don't have enough."
"I don't love lentil soups as a rule, but this was better than the sum of its parts. I was pleasantly surprised."
"This soup was awesome! I brought some to work and everyone wanted the recipe."