Served with biscuits and a salad, this soup is delicious on a chilly autumn evening. It's one of my family's favorite.
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes, lentils, barley, bouillon, oregano, rosemary and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils and barley are almost tender.
- Add carrots; simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots, lentils and barley are tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Lentil Soup in Country October/November 1998, p51
Reviews for Hearty Lentil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review