- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a nonstick Dutch oven, saute the celery, onions, leeks, green pepper, jalapenos and garlic in oil until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, water, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Stir in sour cream and green onions until blended; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Leek and Potato Soup
"The soup was okay, but a little too spicy for my husband and I. If I do make it again, I would leave the jalapeno peppers out and add the chicken broth for extra flavor."
"My husband and I both loved this soup! I used chicken broth in place of the vegetable broth. Perhaps that's why we didn't notice anything missing as some reviewers have. Try it that way."
"I made this soup for dinner last night, with a few modifications. I left out the jalapenos and used half chicken broth/half vegetable broth. I also add a tsp of Mrs. Dash seasonging and some fresh parsley. It was really good! Light and healthy, yet full of flavor. I love potato soup, but my husband isn't a huge fan. He really liked this one, and I will definitely make it again."
"I followed this recipe as written and it seemed to be missing something. Sitting over night didn't help. Not something I would make again"
"I made this soup the night before I was having guests for dinner. At first I thought the soup was missing something so I added a pinch of cayenne pepper, still thought it was mising something. I refrigerated over night and reheated for dinner, it was delicious. I think the flavors just needed to come together overnight. I will make again."