Hearty Lasagna Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 carrots, halved
- 2 celery ribs, halved
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic in oil until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Place carrots and celery in sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain; rinse in cold water. Remove and discard carrots and celery.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer one-third of the noodles, one-third of the meat sauce, one-third of the ricotta, one-third of the mozzarella and one-third of the Parmesan. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining noodles and meat sauce.
- Cut a heart out of aluminum foil and center on top of sauce. Dollop and spread remaining ricotta around heart. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove and discard foil heart. Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hearty Lasagna(11)
Sort By :
Very Yummy! Used for the meat 1/2 lb ground turkey & 1/2 turkey sausage. Also added a pinch of garlic powder & Italian seasoning. The carrots & celery - I actually just had glanced at the recipe so I only had matchstick carrots on hand, which I threw into the sauce to simmer. I ended up just leaving them in and no one was the wiser LOL. served w/ garlic bubble loaf - a winner of a dinner :)
So glad I found the recipe online. Can't find my magazine since I moved and have been making this for years. For my house I double and maybe tripple the cheese and always make extra sauce to have at the table.
Very good flavor. I used 1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. country sausage. I thought it got a little dry and could have used some more sauce, but otherwise it was excellent.
Since both kids are now in college, I had to half everything in this recipe for me and my husband, with a few exceptions. I used the same amount of ricotta and a cup and a half of mozzarella (i love cheese!). I also used no cook lasagna noodles, so baked the dish, covered, for 50 minutes, then uncovered for fifteen more. I did wait the fifteen minutes before cutting it and serving it. It looked beautiful after it was baked, did not run when it was cut and tasted delicious! My husband gave it a thumbs up! I did not do the heart this time, but maybe next time i will!
The heart gives this such a nice touch. I have been using this recipe for years, especially for Valentines Day. I add in red bell pepper with the garlic and onion, using more garlic , and I use a bigger pan and use a 16 ounce box lasagna , 32 ounce ricotta, 16 ounce mozzarella ball and more Parmesan. I add thawed chopped, drained spinach into the ricotta, along with 2 eggs. I add a little more tomato or jar pasta to the homeade sauce mixture also. This is the best lasagna recipe and it sets up beautifully. The pieces come out looking like a picture and they cut great too without sliding all over the place. Thank you so much for this recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Baking Recipes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Lasagna Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Lasagna Dinners >
- Lasagna Recipes >