- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 carrots, halved
- 2 celery ribs, halved
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic in oil until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Place carrots and celery in sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain; rinse in cold water. Remove and discard carrots and celery.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer one-third of the noodles, one-third of the meat sauce, one-third of the ricotta, one-third of the mozzarella and one-third of the Parmesan. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining noodles and meat sauce.
- Cut a heart out of aluminum foil and center on top of sauce. Dollop and spread remaining ricotta around heart. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove and discard foil heart. Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hearty Lasagna
Sort By :
"Very easy and tasty!"
"This was a bit time consuming because of the homemade sauce, but so worth it and so delicious! I used a pound of Italian sausage with the beef for a fuller flavor. I also doubled sauce ingredients to make a second lasagna to freeze. I would also make the sauce again to serve over pasta. Yum!"
"Very Yummy! Used for the meat 1/2 lb ground turkey & 1/2 turkey sausage. Also added a pinch of garlic powder & Italian seasoning. The carrots & celery - I actually just had glanced at the recipe so I only had matchstick carrots on hand, which I threw into the sauce to simmer. I ended up just leaving them in and no one was the wiser LOL. served w/ garlic bubble loaf - a winner of a dinner :)"
"So glad I found the recipe online. Can't find my magazine since I moved and have been making this for years. For my house I double and maybe tripple the cheese and always make extra sauce to have at the table."
"Very good flavor. I used 1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. country sausage. I thought it got a little dry and could have used some more sauce, but otherwise it was excellent."