Hearty Krautwiches Recipe
"With sauerkraut and liverwurst, this is an ethnic sandwich that you'll find hard to resist," notes subscriber Karen Ann Bland from Gove, Kansas. "The recipe has strong ties to our German ancestors who settled in this part of Kansas."
- 4 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, well drained
- 1/3 cup Russian salad dressing
- 1 medium red onion
- 6 onion buns, split
- 8 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 6 slice Muenster cheese
- 6 ounces sliced liverwurst
- 6 lettuce leaves
- Additional Russian salad dressing, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, chop 1 egg; stir in sauerkraut and salad dressing. Chop half of the onion; add to sauerkraut mixture. Slice remaining eggs and onion; set aside.
- 2. On bun bottoms, layer the salami, cheese, liverwurst, lettuce, onion and about 1/3 cup sauerkraut mixture. Slice remaining eggs. Top each with the sliced eggs and additional salad dressing if desired. Replace bun tops. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 593 calories, 37 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 244 mg cholesterol, 2,084 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC