Hearty Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Split Rope Sausage or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, chicken, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter until chicken is browned. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 2. Stir in shrimp; cover and simmer for 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve over rice if desired; or cool, cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup (prepared with turkey sausage and reduced-fat butter; calculated without rice) equals 220 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 675 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.