A bowlful of this soup is so satisfying, it's hard to believe it's actually good for you, too. I crave it all the time. With lots of filling beans and potatoes, the recipe even hits the spot with meat lovers. —Kristina Krummel, Elkins, Arkansas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potato and carrots; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add onion, celery, zucchini and jalapeno; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Italian White Bean Soup in Simple & Delicious June/July 2014
Reviews for Hearty Italian White Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review