Hearty Italian Soup Recipe
- 1 Italian sausage link, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper until sausage is browned; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, sugar, bouillon and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in macaroni. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup (prepared with Italian turkey sausage and reduced-sodium bouillon) equals 140 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 898 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.