Macaroni and Italian sausage makes this tomato-veggie soup thick and hearty. “It offers a nice change of pace from my chili recipe,” notes Robin Sabrowsky of Plymouth, Wisconsin.
- 1 Italian sausage link, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper until sausage is browned; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, sugar, bouillon and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in macaroni. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Italian Soup in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008, p53
Reviews for Hearty Italian Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review