Hearty Italian Sandwiches Recipe
I've been making this sweet and spicy sandwich filling for 35 years. It smells as good as it tastes! It's a great reward for a hungry family after a day working or playing outdoors. —Elaine Krupsky, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large green peppers, sliced
- 2 large sweet red peppers, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 sandwich rolls, split
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place a third of the onions and peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, serve about 1 cup of meat and vegetables on each roll. Top with cheese if desired. Use pan juices for dipping if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 sandwich (calculated without Monterey Jack cheese) equals 513 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 1,099 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 33 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC