- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large green peppers, sliced
- 2 large sweet red peppers, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 sandwich rolls, split
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place a third of the onions and peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, serve about 1 cup of meat and vegetables on each roll. Top with cheese if desired. Use pan juices for dipping if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hearty Italian Sandwiches
Sort By :
"With the great reviews I was expecting more. This was bland. Horribly bland. My husband smothered his in BBQ sauce. What a waste of expensive ingredients. I'll probably drain the liquid off, add spaghetti sauce and have it over pasta just so I don't have to throw it away."
"made this recipe for a b-day party everyone loved it...."
"My whole family loves these sandwiches and it is a great recipe to double and then freeze to use later."
"My husband loved this! When we ran out of buns, we just put it over rice or pasta."