Meet the Cook: Beginning when I was just 5 years old, I was my grandmother's constant helper in the kitchen. And, like her, I can't seem to follow a recipe without changing it! That's how this one came about when I got bored with plain chili. The first time I served it at a potluck, people passed around copies of the recipe. My husband and I have three grown children and three grandchildren. -Chloe Buckner, Edinburg, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can or jar (26-1/2 to 30 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup halved sliced pepperoni
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Italian Chili in Country Woman January/February 1996, p33
Reviews for Hearty Italian Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2010
"My family really liked this chili. It was easy to make and very tasty. To suit our personal tastes, I did add a little bit of sugar and some garlic. I kept everything else the same. Thanks for sharing!"