Meet the Cook: Beginning when I was just 5 years old, I was my grandmother's constant helper in the kitchen. And, like her, I can't seem to follow a recipe without changing it! That's how this one came about when I got bored with plain chili. The first time I served it at a potluck, people passed around copies of the recipe. My husband and I have three grown children and three grandchildren. -Chloe Buckner, Edinburg, Pennsylvania
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can or jar (26-1/2 to 30 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup halved sliced pepperoni
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Italian Chili in Country Woman January/February 1996, p33
Reviews for Hearty Italian Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review