Hearty Hunter's Stew Recipe
Moist, tender meat and thick, rich gravy are the hallmarks of this classic recipe slow-simmered in a cast-iron pot.—Joyce Worsech, Catawba, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours 50 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 pounds boneless venison or beef chuck roast, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 medium onions, cut in wedges
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium carrots, quartered
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil over medium heat. Add 4 cups water and scrape to loosen any browned drippings from pan. Add the tomato juice, onions, celery, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Discard bay leaves; add the carrots, rutabaga and potatoes. Cover and cook for 40-60 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the peas; cook for 10 minutes. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 351 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 778 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC