- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Maple syrup or topping of your choice
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a small bowl, beat egg, buttermilk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup or topping of your choice. Yield: 16 hotcakes.
Originally published as Hearty Hotcakes in Quick Cooking December 2000, p36
Reviews for Hearty Hotcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 21, 2016
"These are delicious. It's maple syrup season so l'll be making these a lot in the next few weeks. Janet. VFE"
Reviewed Jan. 2, 2010
"These hotcakes are a family favorite. The butter makes them crisp and the oatmeal adds texture."