Hearty Hotcakes Recipe
In her Everett, Ontario kitchen, Nancy Horsburgh blends buttermilk with cornmeal and two kinds of flour to make these filling pancakes that are sure to wake up your family and keep 'em going until lunch. The oats give these golden hotcakes a bit of crunch.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Maple syrup or topping of your choice
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a small bowl, beat egg, buttermilk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup or topping of your choice. Yield: 16 hotcakes.
Originally published as Hearty Hotcakes in Quick Cooking December 2000, p36
Reviews for Hearty Hotcakes(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 2, 2010
These hotcakes are a family favorite. The butter makes them crisp and the oatmeal adds texture.