- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat granola without raisins
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Stir in the granola, rye flour, cornmeal, oats and almonds.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface. Divide in half; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape each portion into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheet; flatten into 5-in. circles. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes; cover with oil. Bake 10 minutes longer or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Honey Granola Bread in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p50
Reviews for Hearty Honey Granola Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review