- tender; drain. Add the mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, sugar, salt,
- basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often. Discard bay leaf. Serve sauce
- over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated without spaghetti) equals 142 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.