Hearty Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, peppers, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, sugar, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often. Discard bay leaf. Serve sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 cups.
1/2 cup (calculated without spaghetti) equals 142 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.