Hearty Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This satisfying homemade soup with a hint of cayenne is chock-full of vegetables, chicken and noodles. “I revised this recipe from my father-in-law,” explains Norma Reynolds from Overland Park, Kansas. TIP: “It's great with a salad and crusty bread,” Norma adds.
- 12 fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated linguine
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Place mustard seed and garlic on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Place in slow cooker. Add chicken and broth. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Discard spice bag. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Stir linguine into soup; cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until tender. Cut chicken into pieces and return to soup; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 193 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC