- 12 fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated linguine
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Place mustard seed and garlic on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Place in slow cooker. Add chicken and broth. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard spice bag. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Stir linguine into soup; cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until tender. Cut chicken into pieces and return to soup; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
"made this using left-over turkey from Thanksgiving, fast, easy, and delicious.But, I did not use a slow cooker, just made it in a regular pot."
"Very hearty tasty chicken noodle. Chicken noodle is not my favorite type of soup but I really enjoyed it. It makes quite a bit, so expect leftovers."
"This is an easy soup and one everybody likes. I double the recipe and freeze in quart size baggies that lie flat and take up very little freezer room. Do not freeze noodles. Add them to the soup while reheating it.When noodles are frozen the texture becomes grainy."
"This is a very good soup. I did not bother with the cheesecloth; used ground mustard and minced garlic and just dumped all seasonings in."
"Finally one that tastes like Mom's!"