This satisfying homemade soup with a hint of cayenne is brimming with vegetables, chicken and noodles. The recipe came from my father-in-law, but I made some adjustments to give it my own spin. —Norma Reynolds, Overland Park, Kansas
- 12 fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated linguine
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Place mustard seed and garlic on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Place in slow cooker. Add chicken and broth. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard spice bag. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Stir linguine into soup; cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until tender. Cut chicken into pieces and return to soup; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p43
Reviews for Hearty Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review