Hearty Hash Brown Soup Recipe
Once they take a spoonful of this soup chock-full of potatoes and ham, folks will think you fussed. Since it uses frozen hash browns, it's really simple and fast to make.—Frances Rector, Vinton, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Mash potatoes and vegetables to desired consistency. Stir in condensed soup and milk until blended. Add ham, parsley and garlic salt; heat through. Sprinkle servings with bacon. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 156 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 910 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC