Hearty Hash Brown Soup
Once they take a spoonful of this soup chock-full of potatoes and ham, folks will think you fussed. Since it uses frozen hash browns, it's really simple and fast to make.Frances Rector, Vinton, Iowa
12-16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 pounds frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 quart milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first seven ingredients;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or
- until vegetables are tender. Mash vegetables with cooking liquid.
- Add soup and milk; stir until smooth. Add ham, parsley and garlic
- salt; simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with
- bacon. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 156 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 910 mg sodium,