Once they take a spoonful of this soup chock-full of potatoes and ham, folks will think you fussed. Since it uses frozen hash browns, it's really simple and fast to make.—Frances Rector, Vinton, Iowa
Featured In: 43 Amazing Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Mash potatoes and vegetables to desired consistency. Stir in condensed soup and milk until blended. Add ham, parsley and garlic salt; heat through. Sprinkle servings with bacon. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Hash Brown Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p109
Reviews for Hearty Hash Brown Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2011
"Good soup-a bit salty but I added more water and it helped. I would recommend it for something different for supper to try."
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2010
"I make this quite often, it's so easy and quick to make! I use hashbrowns with red/green pepper."