Hearty Hash Brown Dinner Recipe
AT Marge Berg's house in Gibbon, Minnesota, this meal-in-one with vegetables and ground beef is frequent fare. "It's great for potlucks, too," she adds, French-fried onions sprinkled on after cooking create a crispy topping.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours YIELD:4 servings
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen California-blend vegetables
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions
- 1. Place potatoes in a lightly greased 5-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon over potatoes. Top with vegetables. Combine soup and milk; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
- 2. Top with cheese; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, sprinkle with french-fried onions. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 775 calories, 47 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 2,207 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 45 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC